Activities in the area for children and adults
- Boat runs from Juan les Pins to: Iles des Lerins (outside Cannes), Monaco and St. Tropez
- Sous-Marien submarine goes out past the Cap d’Antibes
- Marineland www.marineland.fr just outside Antibes (Biot) is a “hit” and a must for children. Here you can admire orcas (whales) in a giant pool, the amazing dolphin show, and take a walk through the underwater glass tunnel and watch sharks swim right over your head. Address: 306 avenue Mozart – RN7, 06600 Antibes. Next to Marineland you’ll also find four other amusement parks; La Petite Ferme Provencal (farm), La Jungle des papillons (butterfly jungle), Adventure Golf and Aqua Splash. Adventure Golf to offer a 18-hole mini golf course in tropical areas, while you can cool down in the water park Aqua Splash with a number of cool attractions.
- Otherwise, for children there is a park in la Pinède (in Juan) with a nice playground, radio cars and merry-go-round. For the larger children (i.e. +5 years) there is a go-cart circuit on the beach-walk, very popular.
- Language School in Antibes www.cia-france.com/ Highly recommended if you want to refresh your French, or start from “scratch”. Offers varied courses.
- Picasso Museum in Antibes www.antibes-juanlespins.com/fr/culture/musees/picasso/index.html
- Fruit and vegetable market in Antibes. Antique Market every Saturday
- Beach promenade along La Croisette in Cannes or the Promenade des Anglais in Nice is great, both for taking a stroll as well as for jogging or rollerblades.
15 tour and activity suggestions in the area
There are a lot of great places within a small area between Cannes and Monaco, and much to do and see that suits the whole family. Below find some suggestions:
- With children, it is an absolute must to use one day in Marineland / Aqualand in Biot. It may be smart to buy the combination ticket, so that you can enter both parks the same day. In the same area there are also other activities (farm, bird paradise, amusement park). You can take the train to Biot (one stop from Antibes) and you easily locate Marineland.
- For slightly larger children, it is a fantastic climb trail in the forest in Villeneuve-Loubet called Canyon Forest. Three different levels, including Tarzan vines of 331-meters in 70 km / h over one valley (most advanced level). Suitable for children from 5 years and up (min. 110 cm height).
- Aquatic in Fresjus’s is a 40-minute drive away. Best water park in the region if you want even greater challenges than Aqua Splash in Biot. Can be combined with exploring Frejus / St Raphael, both thriving cities.
- Spend at least one night with a dinner on the beach in Juan les Pins. Fits very well also with children who can play on the beach.
- Rent rollerblades, situated at the end of the Promenade des Anglais in Nice (the old town), and go on the 7-km-long promenade. Great fun for both young and old. Also, the old town of Nice is certainly worth a visit.
- Cannes is only 6 km from the Chalet des Alpes. Consider a day for shopping in Rue d’Antibes, lunch in the old town and relax on the beach in a glamorous setting, either the public beach below the Palais du Festival, or if you’re into a little lux you could opt for the Z-plage of Hotel Martinez or Vega Luna Plage below Hotel Carlton.
- Leave the sometimes hectic beach life for a day and travel to the mountains to discover an entirely different and peaceful world. Take for example the route via Valbonne to Gourdon and check out this exceptionally located eagle-nest village. Have lunch here and then you may stop in Tourettes-sur-Loup, Vence, or St Paul de Vence on the way back.
- For a unique experience, stop along the Loup River on the way down from Gourdon – and you will discover amazing, crystal-clear (and chilled) mountain waters and deep pools. Park your car right after the longest tunnel and descend via a slightly steep trail to the river. You may also have the urge to do some go-carting at the FUN MAP, just before you get to Gourdon (Plateau de la Route de Sarrée Gourdon, Le Bar Sur Loup)
- If you’re a true mountaineer, travel up to the real French Alpes where you find fantastic resorts like Isola 2000 (at 2000 m altitude) or Auron. Both are great ski resorts that are open from November until end-April but they also have plenty of activities for the summer. Approx 1 ½ hr by car.
- Biot is a pleasant little pottery town, a few km behind from the sea with beautiful views and cozy streets and shops. Here you can walk around, eat lunch or watch the famous glass works at La Verrerie de Biot.
- Right after Nice you come to Villefranche-sur-Mer, a very beautiful and pleasant town with fine sandy beaches. From here you can drive on to Eze Village which is located high up on the mountainside with great views, while you finish up the day with a visit to Monaco, just a few kilometers further north (Monaco Grand Prix in Formula 1 is in May).
- Almost every week during July-August there, you may watch spectacular fireworks from the sea in Juan and Antibes – certainly an experience not to miss. Remember to book a table in advance at a beach restaurant (check at the tourist office for dates).
- Jazz Festival in Juan les Pins (read more about Jazz à Juan here) in mid July and the Jazz Festival in Nice (read more about Nice Jazz Festival here) last week in July, both festivals hosting world-class artists. Jazz-a-Juan has offered top names for almost 50 years and the outdoor concerts on the beach in La Pinède always have great atmosphere.
- Film festival in Cannes in May is a world-famous and star-packed event.
- Read more about the Cannes Film Festival here.
- The traditional and spectacular Nice Carnival is held annually in February / March. Read more about the Nice Carnaval here.